Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Me Through Music

So as I was working on programming for the last 2 weeks of the UAsked4It Series today, I got reminiscing. (Don't worry Sandra. I have plenty of musical ideas that pertain to the weeks.) I started listening to old bands that I was in. Yes I have them on my ipod. Any of them that recorded anyway. I was in a few more that never made any recordings.

Anyway, I started thinking about 2 things. One where I was when I wrote something or when I was and all that. What my life was like. What I thought I was doing. Why I wrote a particular vocal or whatever. Secondly, I started missing playing. It's fine playing for church. It's nothing like writing for yourself. Nothing like playing your own stuff your way. Nothing like creating something from scratch with a group of guys who are like your brothers. (Or actually your brother in a couple instances.)

Playing someone else's stuff is just that. Someone else's. Granted playing at church it was all written for God and by his hand and I guess you could make the argument that He is in every string I will ever pluck. Every note I will ever sing. But He made me someone who connects with Him when it is something He has let me write.

Needless to say I miss my bands. I miss The Swift Retreat the most. Not because of its most recent proximity. That helps sure. But because it was the closest to what I was meant for that I had gotten. It was a gift from God in all senses. The guys I was in the group with. The stuff we got to make. It was the closest to the kind of stuff I would want to be a part of musically. Some tracks not so much but most. I wish we were able to step back into it. No harm in asking I suppose. I miss playing that way. Playing at church doesnt fill that gap. (Yes I know before I get 15 facebook messages or whatever. Jesus fills in the gaps in our lives. This is not an "I can't live without this" type of gap. It's an I love doing this gap.)

Anyway, if blogspot will let me, I am gonna post some music now. At least try to. Kind of a progression of bands I have been in from College.


Okay, it wont work. I will have to figure it out another way.

No comments: