Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Remember That Horrendous Dolly Parton Song

I would like to meet the guy who invented this whole, "Let's work 9-5 everyday year round with no real semblance of a break" idea. I would punch him in the face harder than the super prep with the popped collar. And he would deserve it.

I mean let's face it. We are setting ourselves up for failure, depression and an early grave. We give our kids this school schedule filled with breaks and teacher service days and president's days, then after college we are thrown to the wolves to survive the grind. From summer vacation of 3 months to maybe 2 weeks off a year to make just enough money to not pay for the schooling we went through to get this god forsaken hell we call the workforce.

Now some people were made for this type of monotanous, worker drone, day in and day out type of existence. I definitely was not. And I unfortunately did not think clearly through this while I was in college. And career counselors are of no use to anyone. They just want to brainwash you into accepting the fact that you will be someone's slave for life. Well at least till they deem you too old to be useful and this thing called "retirement" is implemented.

So what does that make us? A mindless mob working for the weekend and till we hit 65 when we hopefully can rest. But by then, many are too tired to do any of the things they truly wanted in their lives.

So here I sit at my boring meaningless existence of a job. Wishing I had been smart enough to get my teaching certification. So right now instead of dreading a beautiful summer spent in a cave in front of a computer, I could be envisioning a glorious time on the road. Out in the sun.

And to think I am using my entire 2 weeks of vacation time all in one foul swoop before we even ht the middle of the year. True it is worth it and I will be on the beaches of Barbados the entire time. But then I come back to the grind of an underpaying, underappreciating job. Hoorah!

I would so love to meet the putz that came up with this phenomena. POW! Right in the kisser.

I think for the majority of us on this planet, freedom is what we are meant for. Not that we are just slackers who are going to sleep on a porch all day. I mean I like doing stuff. But this daily grind is not what life was intended to be. At least not my life anyway. I daily want to rip out my hair and chew on it huddled in a corner until it is time to leave this hole. Okay maybe I am exagerrating a bit but you get my point.

No comments: