Monday, October 26, 2009

Part 2

So while the last one was kind of broad and maybe a bit confusing, I want to parcel out some specific points that directly pertain to me and what I have been yearning for.

There are 2 that I mentioned about Jesus knowing how my heart feels. I think I am gonna talk about 1 of them. The other may be too vulnerable to get into here and is hard to talk about without specifics and specifics don't need to be shared with the blog reading world.

So this is gonna focus on music. I miss playing a lot. I mean a lot a lot. It's grown increasingly more so over the last few months. Playing at church is great. It's not refueling. It's not the end for me. Now that we are more in a rhythm, my roll there has lessened quite a bit so I don't connect to it as well. It was different when it was sparse on people and it was me and Matt Garner being weekend warriors. On for weeks and weeks at a time. I loved it and it so isn't the case anymore.

It's hard to explain that one in some ways. Saying I want a larger roll on stage sounds like I want to be seen more often or I think there needs to be more of me up there. Not at all what I am saying. Truth is stages are weirdly homes for me. It strange. I am never more self conscious than when I am on stage, but also never more connected to the heart of Jesus. Playing like that is so my heart. Being out on stage is so me and Jesus. Even when thousands of people are in a room. I have played a show to 1 audience member and still had the time of my life. It's not about being seen or heard. Or at least that I am seen or heard. It's something else that I haven't been able to put my exact finger on. There is just my own world that I enter in to. I think it is one He always let me enter into with Him, even before I really knew Him. It used to just be a venting zone. I would write my lyrics and scream them out and whether anyone listened or not, He heard me.

It's changed since I gave my life to Him. He still lets me vent but He has me worship too. And you would think in a church would be the exact right place for that right? Well yes and no. It's different in church. Playing other people's music is different. Playing someone else's songs is not the same for a writer. It is in a lot of ways formulaic and confining. I mean even in my own band if we covered a song, we made it our own. The Swift Retreat was working on a couple different covers before we pulled the plug. Thriller by Michael Jackson and Hot n Cold by Katy Perry. We were experimenting with how beats went, how we were gonna recreate important parts without synths and such. It was a blast.

It is so rare we experiment with stuff at church. Performed songs are pretty much done note for note. We study the song to get things exactly right. We try to mimic every part even if we know there is no way the artist can reproduce some of it live without having 15 vocalist on stage. I am not knocking the artistry that goes into that. We have greatly talented musicians. Anyerin's solo on Beat it was freaking amazing. Locking in on some of the more difficult drum parts always impresses me when Chris does them. Chris Hall and Mike Parrott killing Kirk Franklin bass lines which are not easy. That's amazing stuff.

I miss writing and creating and crafting together from scratch. I miss getting on stage and entering into a my zone with Jesus and with the guys the He blessed me with to play with. That was what the Swift Retreat was. Us crafting something together and playing together and being original together. That is a massive loss in my heart right now. It has been for quite some time. I think I have felt like asking for it back is either irresponsible or selfish or something along those lines. Like I would be intruding on the others guys lives if I were to ask if that was something we could pick up again. Like I would be pissing them off in some way. Insecurity at it's best.

I think I need to ask or I need to find an outlet for that. Maybe it means I just do my own solo project. Hard to do when you don't have any real way to record. I have some stuff I have been working on but I don't have any real way to put all the parts I have in my head together into one cohesive form. And then I lose it if it sits too long. My number 1 creative outlet is on a unwanted and seemingly complicated stand still. That's probably why it seems like I am always starting these random creative often nerdy projects. The shirt thing being the most prevalent. And they all end up not being completed cause they aren't really what I want to be doing.

So what do I do? Time to really ask Jesus about it. Ask Him for the means to do something. Ask Him for the words and the chords. Ask Him for the people if they are supposed to exist. Ask Him for the stage if I'm supposed to be on it. I can't go on the way I have been. I really need Him to start refueling me and I need to let Him do it. And there are just some ways He has already revealed that are Him in me that I need Him to craft out. Music being one of them.

The thing about being alone at a wedding I am not gonna go in to. Save to say this. All guys hate going to weddings. Truth. Going by yourself and being surrounded by couples... worse. I am so glad there aren't any others I need to attend for a little bit. Becky I love you. I am glad I got to see you and Zach tie the knot and I hope you have years and years of happy life together. Now for a much needed respite. :)

No comments: